There is nothing more important than the safety of our guests and staff. Below is a list of practices in which we engage to maintain the highest safety standards for you and your family or group.
- Guests are encouraged to sanitize hands prior to entry.
- Staff are required to wash hands/use hand sanitizer frequently to ensure safe interaction with guests and coworkers.
- Our robust cleaning practices continue to be stringent! We have meticulously planned and implemented cleaning and safety procedures throughout our museum that protect the health and well-being of our guests and staff. We’re adhering to guidelines from our local health department, the CDC, and the Association of Children's Museums to ensure we are following the highest standards. You’ll see our staff cleaning with disinfectant throughout your visit and deeper cleaning will occur at the end of the day. Staff will disinfect surfaces, exhibits and “high touch” areas, like door handles and elevator buttons. Loose toys and manipulatives, such as play food and balls, will be rotated out with new sanitized sets each day.
- Fresh air is circulated in the building frequently each day.
- Signage encourages hand washing and other safe behavior.
Admission is $10.00 for each person age two or older. Admission is FREE for Discovery Center Members and children age 1 and younger.
Strollers are allowed in the museum. They may be left in our unattended coat area across from the Admission Desk or remain with you during your visit to the Museum. There is also space directly outside the Tot Spot area to park your stroller. Please refrain from leaving your stroller in high traffic areas such as exhibit entrances and exits.
Food may be eaten in at picnic tables in outdoor spaces or indoors at tables in building lobby (far end near Kresge Hall) or in the lower level of the lobby. In the Museum exhibit areas water is allowed, as are bottles for babies. Water bottle filling stations are available in the Museum and in the building lobby.
Discovery Center Museum is for the young and young at heart, but specifically, we target children from birth to age 12 and their families. Each of our exhibits, experiences and programs have been designed to engage a broad range of children’s ages and interests. Only Tot Spot is limited to children age 6 and younger and their caretakers.
Discovery Center Museum has great spaces for infants and toddlers. Tot Spot is designed for children age 6 and younger and their parents. This interactive fun-filled wonderland offers tots the opportunity to explore, discover, experiment and wonder. Tot Spot is located on the second floor. Inside Tot Spot is Baby Spot, an area designed specifically for babies 18 months and younger. Also inside Tot Spot is a quiet room made especially for nursing mothers and children that may just need a little quiet time.
You can contact us at 815-963-6769.
Discovery Center Museum is committed to providing exhibits, programs, and public spaces that are inclusive and interactive for all visitors. Please visit our accessibility page for more information on the accommodations offered by the museum. We have wheelchairs available upon request. We also have a Visual Systems Guide for families to use during their visit.
We ask that all children under the age of 15 be accompanied by an adult or chaperone at least 18 years of age at all times. Any child under 14 on his/her own will be escorted to the Admission Desk to remain there until a parent or caretaker is located. Each non-adult chaperone (ages 16-17) may be responsible for no more than two children under the age of 12.
Our least busy times are weekday afternoons. You are welcome to call our main phone number (815) 963-6769 to check on capacity for a particular day.
As posted at the entrance to the Museum and according to laws from the State of Illinois, for the safety of our children, no weapons (including concealed or open carry) are allowed in the Museum. The only exceptions to this policy are for law enforcement.
Museum Members receive unlimited free admission for a full year! Members receive a variety of benefits, from discounts to birthday parties, classes and special traveling exhibitions, to special members-only events. And, for a family of four, a Family Membership pays off in just three visits!
If you would like to buy a membership, please visit the Admissions Desk before it closes at 4:00 pm for the day’s admission to be applied to your membership purchase.
Additionally, Gift Memberships of various levels are a great way to give the gift of innovative, child-centered fun to someone else!