Discovery Center Museum is committed to making its building, exhibits and programs accessible to visitors with special needs.
- We adhere to the Smithsonian Institute's guidelines for accessibility.
- We offer ramps, accessible restrooms, an elevator, and ample room around each exhibit.
- Adult changing table onsite.
- Our classes can also accommodate children (and their parents) with special needs.
- Wheelchairs are available at Discovery Center. To ensure availability, please call in advance of your arrival.
Discovery Center offers several Mornings of Fun each year for children with disabilities and their immediate families to experience our exhibits free of charge before the museum opens to the public. Mornings of Fun begin at 9:00 am. A healthy snack is served at 10:00 am and families are welcome to stay and play after the museum opens to the public at 10:00 am. Advance registration is required. Click here to register. To learn more, call 815-963-6769 or email SueS@discoverycentermuseum.org. Future dates: June 8, 2019; September 28, 2019; October 26, 2019; November 30, 2019.
Visual guides are available for families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Check in at the front desk or call ahead to use the visual guides for Discovery Center.
The social stories were generously provided by the Autism Program Service Center - Rockford.